Saturday, September 01, 2007

Brenda Dayne's Knitting Badges!

Have you seen these? Knitting badges for Knitting Scouts!

Here is what I have earned so far: [Quotes from cast-on.com]

"The “Proselytize Knitting” Badge - A requirement for all Knitting Scouts, the recipient must do his or her bit to present knitting in a positive light, whilst at the same time avoiding all references to “hipness”, grandmothers, and yoga."

I accomplish this by knitting/crocheting/spinning in public and wearing, with pride, what I have made. I have some good pictures of me spinning on the
beach at family camp this summer that I should post.

"The “MacGyver” Badge (Level One) - The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a non-knitting tool in a knitting-related scenario. For instance, recipient has used paper clips as stitch markers, or successfully whittled and then utilized bamboo skewers as dpns."

I use bobby pins to hold seams together while sewing them up. I have a small blue
circle of plastic from a lego set that I am using as a stitch marker for my MS3. I used to have 2 but sadly lost one.

"The “MacGyver” Badge (Level Two) - The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a knitting tool in a non-knitting-related scenario. For instance, recipient has used a strand of Regia Bamboo to slice cheese, or repaired a small appliance with a metal knitting needle."

I regularly use a knitting needle to clean the vacuum filter. The girls have used various bits of yarn for pretend leases, clothes lines, kite string and who knows
what else. I have put out bits of yarn ends for the birds in the spring.

"The “Knitting Has Forced Me to Seek Medical Attention” Badge (Level One) – In which the recipient has been forced to seek the advice of a medical doctor, nurse, or alternative healthcare professional for injuries sustained as a result of knitting."

3 springs ago I knit like a fend all one day. I started to feel pain in my wrist but didn't stop. The next day I picked up my needles and after 3 stitches pain went shooting up my thumb, through my wrist and up my arm. I stopped and called the doctor. After examining me he, thankfully, told me I hadn't done any real damage, just hurt it a bit and to stop knitting for 5 or 6 months ... yes months. I decided to do that so I could knit another day. I didn't knit a stitch all that summer. I didn't wait exactly 5 months, more like 3 but I was careful.

And the moral of the story is: DON'T WORK THROUGH THE PAIN! Instead, to the tune of that jazzy song they sing to Ernie on Sesame Street, sing: "PUT DOWN THE NEEDLES!" and give yourself a break.

And if you have read this far, thank-you and please post on my "Pay It Forward" post. I asked for at least 3 posters and don't have that yet. Come on Knitsibs! Show me the love!

No comments:

 

free counter